We expect to resume tours on May 20. Please stay safe.
Add a "Chocolate Stop" Farm Tour to your Hamakua Coast drive. Mauna Kea Cacao is conveniently located near Pepeekeo, 3/4 mile off of Highway 19 between the north end of the Scenic Route and Akaka Falls. The farm is about a 10-minute drive from Old Town Hilo.
Farm Tour Description
Public farm tours are offered Thursdays at 10:00 am and 1:00 pm. During the 90-minute tour, you will:
- See a working cacao farm with 1,800 cacao trees.
- Learn how award-winning cacao is grown, harvested, fermented and dried.
- Open a cacao pod and taste fresh cacao.
- Taste Hawaii Island's "Best Cacao" from the Big Island Chocolate Festival.
- Taste Mauna Kea Cacao's home-made (untempered) chocolate and commercially produced Hawaii chocolate from other bean-to-bar chocolate makers.
This tour is best for people who can easily walk 1/2 mile on uneven surfaces that may be wet, muddy and/or slippery. Weather is changeable and rain may occur at any time. Tours continue during rain.
Mauna Kea Cacao LLC is a working farm. Closed-toe shoes, hats, rain jacket or umbrella, sunscreen and insect repellant are recommended. Visitors will sign a liability waiver before beginning the tour.
Tour prices are $40 per adult and $15 per child (5-17 years of age). Children under 5 are free. Hawaii tax will be added.